Anyone interested in Serverless, in particular:
- Engineers that want to learn it through the practical exercises.
- Managers that want to hear about its business advantages.
No previous experience with Serverless is required and no programming experience is required.
What are the topics?
- Introducing AWS - brief introduction into cloud computing, with emphasis on AWS ecosystem and services available there.
- Serverless Evolution - showing how the software development lifecycle evolved, describing the transition from owning to consuming, and how serverless affected that revolution.
- Introducing the AWS services that we are going to use:
- S3 - keeping input data and hosting the website
- Lambda - computing the data
- API Gateway - frontend and backend communication
- DynamoDB - keeping results data
- Image Rekognition - detecting cat in a picture
- CloudWatch - monitoring
- X-Ray - tracing
- Costs with a comparison to the traditional model.
- We will showcase what we will build during the workshop.
- Building the application. That will cover three main parts of the application: uploading images, processing them and presenting the results. We will address all the related topics: hosting the website, CORS, security and communication between the services.
- Debugging and tracing the application. We will show how it is simple in the AWS world. That will a short live session showing how to monitor the flow of the application and how to detect the errors.
- Improvements. In this part we will explain how to do the same programatically. We will answer how to run it in a production system and will propose CI/CD model. Two additional tools will be presented:
- Serverless Framework - building Lambda function in the node.js
- Cloudformation - managing the AWS infrastructure